In the past years,we have seen an explosion of interest in development for mobile.Many companies have mobile websites and mobile applications.But how do you make sure that these mobile products are easy to use and satisfy your customers' needs?The best way to do it is to test your mobile products with real users.
NNG has conducted a plethora of mobile user research studies since 2000,both for our independent research reports and for consulting clients.We've tested the range of platforms from now primitive smartphones to touchscreen phones,tablets,and e-book readers.We'll report the lessons learned from more than a decade of mobile usability studies and save you from making the mistakes that we made in the early years.
The advice in this course is platform independent,which has two benefits:
- It doesn't matter whether you develop for iOS,Android,Windows Phone,BlackBerry,or the next platform to come around: you should test your manbetx官方网站手机版design with users;and the methods for doing so are much the same.
- The methods you learn in this course will help you improve the user experience of any future mobile platform or technologies that may emerge in coming years.Learning good user-research methodology is a way of future-proofing your career.
- The benefits of testing your mobile platform
- How to plan and conduct your mobile user testing: finding the right equipment,recruiting participants,writing the tasks,facilitating the study session
What You Won't Learn
- How to test new device hardware: this seminar focuses on testing software (whether apps or websites)
- What user testing can and cannot tell you
- Setting goals for your user study
- What equipment do you need in order to record mobile studies?
- Document camera vs.mobile-device camera
- Apps and software
- Recruiting participants
- How many?
- What to include in your screener?
- Conducting user studies in the lab
- How to make sure your lab is appropriate for mobile testing
- Structured versus unstructured testing
- Types of tasks and how to describe them
- How to interact with the user
- Think-aloud protocol
- Your recording will be available for viewing as soon as payment is processed.
- The link to view the online seminar will be emailed to the address used for registration.
View this recording
Recorded May 2016
60 minute online seminar
Raluca Budiu is Director of Research at Nielsen manbetx官网手机登陆Norman Group,where she consults for clients from a variety of industries and presents tutorials on mobile usability,manbetx官方网站手机版designing interfaces for multiple devices,quantitative usability methods,cognitive psychology for manbetx官方网站手机版designers,and principles of human-computer interaction.She also serves as editor for the manbetx官网手机登陆articles published on NNgroup.com.Raluca coauthored the NN/g reports on tablet usability,mobile usability,iPad usability,and the usability of children's websites,as well as the book Mobile Usability.She served as a judge for GSMA Global Mobile Awards 2012-2016 and Tabby Awards 2013.She holds a Ph.D.from Carnegie Mellon University.Read more about Raluca.