小红舍（小红书 - 英文小红皮书，但与美国红书杂志无关）是一家受欢迎的中国社会电子商务移动应用程序，该应用程序于2013年推出，并根据中国日报的数据，现在价值超过30亿美元。它针对18-35岁的女性对豪华时装和美容产品感兴趣。Redbook允许用户浏览，购买和查看产品，分享购物体验，以及来自海外共享的发现和购买产品。
Community and Convenience Are Key
In our independently funded,生活在线定性可用性测试conducted in Shanghai, China, we asked 5 loyal users of Redbook (all female) what they valued about it. The top three reasons were the same among these users, in no particular order:
- Legitimate and comprehensive content由平台的大用户社区创建和维护
- Access to overseas products at lower prices.China is one of the world’s largest consumers of luxury goods. Many overseas and cross border products are brought into China with high customs fees. Redbook targets this opportunity by sourcing products from overseas sellers, storing them in free-trade zones that are not subject to the customs fees, and redistributing them to its Chinese consumers. The platform functions as a mediator, providing Redbook shoppers access to various overseas products at relatively low prices.
Though access to foreign products at lower prices is an important benefit for Redbook’s users, in this article, we focus on the first two reasons listed by our study participants and on why they foster customer loyalty.
A Community With Legitimate and Comprehensive Content
A Sense of Community
购物是一个社交活动。Over the years, in our电子商务User Experience report series，我们已经记录了购物的社会方面以及它们如何影响在线购物。在线购物者与朋友和家人讨论预期购买，并在购买产品之前寻找建议和意见。在线产品评论是购物的一个重要方面：购物者价值稳健的评论其中包括有关审阅者和使用产品照片的详细信息。
One participant from our China research study said: “I almost use Redbook as a translator for my cosmetic-product instructions because some of the products I bought overseas only have instructions in foreign languages. In Redbook, other people will tell you in detail what [a product] does and how to use it.”
On Redbook, people interact and give each other advice by posting, commenting with questions, and sharing experiences. Redbook gamifies the experience by using a hierarchical status system to encourage participation in the app and strengthen the community. Users start out as a ‘baby’ and, after reaching community-related milestones (e.g., 300 posts with more than 50 likes) they are able unlock higher levels, ultimately reaching the top level, called the ‘golden crown’. By unlocking higher levels of status, users gain access to exclusive features such as customized stickers or watermarks to post on images or videos. Because images and videos are the most eye-catching elements of a post, these extra features mean more opportunities for popularity and exposure. The most-popular influencers of the community may receive sponsorships from brands in exchange for posts about products. Redbook’s community component has helped the platform build a large group of active users and quickly scale up as a sharing and shopping destination.
假冒产品在中国是一个巨大的关注点。Fakes are abundant on the market, and luxury beauty and fashion products often become counterfeiting targets. Therefore, Chinese shoppers are extremely wary about product authenticity.
在这样的环境中，trust and credibility are incredibly important。Redbook在购物之旅中放心客户在购物之旅中，它销售的产品是正品的：
- Transparent, well-documented shipping details (e.g., flight number, time when it cleared customs) for those foreign products shipped from Redbook’s overseas warehouses
- 清除其他人正在购买产品的指标，增加信任social proof
- A product-authenticity–guarantee policy, which states that if you bought one faked item on the platform, you will be compensated 10 times the price of the product
除了值得信赖的产品外，comprehensive and legitimate user reviewsalso help the platform to build trust within its shopping community. Posts on Redbook are typically very detailed and very personal, filled with descriptions, pictures, and videos. Users are motivated to post high-quality content because such content will get attention and comments, will be liked or saved by others, and will raise the users’ community-status level, helping them become popular influencers. In turn, the platform benefits from such content because detailed reviews with a lot of interaction around them appear genuine and legitimate to shoppers. This互惠互利用户和平台之间的关系创造了购物生态学，维持红皮书的增长和成功。
对伪造和虚假审查的担忧也在美国种植。在我们最近的研究中电子商务User Experience report series，人们质疑他们在线看到的评级和审查，并抱怨它是多么困难，如果他们包括几个字，就会审查真实的审查。
The Convenience of Purchasing Directly From Reviews
The second factor that influenced users’ perceptions about the utility and value of Redbook was that they could purchase products directly from other users’ posts.
Redbook用户不仅可以从用户生成的帖子中发现新产品，但它们可以轻松购买正在讨论的产品。The integration between community reviews and transactions facilitates impulse buying and saves user effort: users don’t have to remember products they found on Redbook and then shop for them elsewhere, as it is often the case with traditional workflows, where product research and purchasing takes place in different places.
整个工作流程简单，方便，内置于应用程序中。用户评论了这种体验的易消化，称红皮书使发现和获取可信的产品是一个简单的过程，包含在一个应用程序中。这种情绪以及我们在美国参与者的研究中呼应了我们的研究：人们更喜欢流线型和连接工作流超过必须将信息与多个来源组合。（我们已经从先前的研究结果中了解到无缝的对omnichannel ux有益and that only a third of the population has足够的计算机技能来结合信息来源。)
以下是来自Redbook的一些关键外来，目标是电子商务网站可以包含UX a competitive advantage over giant, but undifferentiated sites like Amazon:
- Explore the social aspect of shopping and foster a community of users.Community supports research, inspiration, and product discovery. Incorporate social components into the shopping journey by:
- Providing product-discovery forums:Encourage sharing and conversations around your products to help buyers learn from peers. This resource can supplement polished product details and marketing messages that consumers can become numb to.
- 将共享机制建立成产品页面：The social side of shopping often revolves around asking others for insights and opinions. Social components can fit naturally on existing product pages to facilitate communication between browsers and those who’ve purchased the item before.
- Adding features for encouraging participation:Participation is key to the social element of a business platform. Providing incentives for posting content or gamifying the experience can motivate users and ultimately lead to a strong, active community. For example, the clothing- and accessory-resale app, Poshmark, allows members to earn Posh Ambassador status. Ambassadors receive exposure in the community (which can help them sell their goods). The app provides a page called Posh Stats which indicates how close they are to receiving the Posh Ambassador title based on 9 participation factors.
Retailers can also take advantage of their social-network pages to post product details and link to product pages; they should also strive to encourage users to add their own content.
中国的红皮书的成功说明了战俘er of community and trustworthiness in ecommerce. Redbook encourages participation in its ecommerce community in order to build quality, trustworthy content. By combining this strong community with other tactics that establish its products’ credibility, Redbooks drives engagement and trust around purchases made on the platform.
注:“红宝书”是英语文字translation of the Chinese name of the app, “XiaoHongShu”. The shopping platform has no relation to The Book of Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung [Máo Zhǔxí Yǔlù] written by Mao Zedong, also known in English as the “Little Red Book.” We thank one of our readers for pointing out this coincidence.