Before developing a内容策略或者对您现有的数字内容进行广泛的扫描改进，应该首先发生两个重要的活动：内容库存和a content audit.
定义：内容审计examines, assesses, and evaluates the quality of the content listed in the inventory. Audits uncover content that needs updating, where gaps exist that new content could fill, and if certain pieces of content are ready for removal.
The short answer is是. While a content inventory is a good first step toward understanding the depth and breadth of your content, it won’t tell you much about the content’s quality or how to improve it. That’s where the audit comes in and why we suggest completing these activities together, instead of only doing one or the other.
It’s acceptable to start with the content inventory and then do the audit. The details for each piece of content cataloged in the inventory will help you understand the broad implications of any decisions you make in the auditing process and enable you to take quick action on those decisions.
When and Where Do I Start?
Content inventories and audits can begin and continue throughout any phase of the product-development process. Teams may kick off new redesign projects with these activities to determine what content to carry over and what to leave behind. Other teams may realize over time that they need to start tracking and evaluating their content to minimize user confusion, redundancy, andinformation overload.真的没有完美的时间开始;如果您还没有内容库存和审计，现在是一个好时机.
Start by thinking through the following elements related to people, process, and tools:
- 建立所有权for the inventory and audit — both the process and the artifacts. It might be you alone, or you and a few colleagues.
- Involve others early on; inform everyone, from stakeholders to authors, designers, and user researchers, of what you’re doing and align on appropriate audit criteria.
- Provide impactful updatesinitially, and at a regular cadence along the way. Other people are more likely to care and trust you to make decisions about what to ultimately do with the content if you keep them meaningfully informed. Don’t overload them with detail here.
- 如果您正在处理大量内容，develop a ‘start-small’ mindset. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed at first, but break up the effort into small increments. If there’s more content than you can fathomably handle, start with a manageable yet impactful subset.
- Prioritize inventorying and auditing the content that is either最常被访问or supports最佳任务(for users and the business).
- Choose a tool容纳库存和审计。它应该具有低学习曲线和进入障碍。使用你已经拥有的东西digital-workplace toolset并且已经熟悉所有合作者。
- Explore whether you can自动化一些过程使用数字工具（例如，爬行工具，CMS标题，日期，作者，元数据）。但是，如果实际人们通过查看和评估每件内容，最好的人是最好的。
Choosing a Scope and Criteria to Include in Your Spreadsheet
You’ll want to choose a scope for your content inventory and audit that fits your organization’s needs and your team’s capacity. You can conduct these activities for an entire website or app, subsection of a website or app, or even an entire user journey withmultiple touchpoints. If you’re tracking and evaluating content across acustomer journey，查看该旅程中用户所需的关键内容（即使是在音乐会中旅程地图）看，看看是否有任何知识差距或表现不利的内容，这对整体经验有害。
不管你选择的范围、电子表格tend to work best for content inventories and audits.Teams working remotely和合作在同一文档中也可以使用ls like Google Sheets or create spreadsheets in Excel or Numbers. If you share the document on SharePoint or a team server, allow everyone to view the inventory and audit, but make sure permissions are set appropriately so that only approved individuals can update it. Keep a backup copy of the spreadsheet, just in case.
- URL or link to where it lives
- Author, owner, or source (who wrote or created it, who owns it, is it user-generated, fed in from somewhere else, etc.)
- Creation or last-modified date
- Metadata (page title, meta description, alt text, etc.)
- Where raw files reside, internally
The set of审计过程的评估标准is usually twofold. It includes, but isn’t limited to:
- Industry best practices for web writing and other content formats:
- User needs:指定观众，its task, and needs. Who are your content users and what are they trying to do (e.g., find answers, discover new information, learn about new topics, compare options, make a decision, get in contact)? To what degree does the content support them in that task? Do they have any unanswered questions?
- Goals and performance metrics:陈述内容应该做的内容（例如，创造意识，驱动流量，生成引导，销售某事）。使用性能指标，例如点击，视图，反弹率，喜欢和共享，与用户研究中的任何定性见解进行耦合。内容是否有助于达到目标或贬低它？
水平内容质量given best practices, internal content standards, user needs, business goals, and metrics.
Filling Out the Details for Each Piece of Content
获取电子表格设置后，按作品拍摄您的内容，并填写库存和审计中的详细信息。您可能无法通过单独查看它来审核每件内容;您可能必须挖掘您的内容管理系统，以查找作者，元数据和日期（如果您无法导出此信息）以及您的analytics platform查看性能指标。您甚至可能需要进行qualitative user research要了解内容是否有效满足用户需求。在任何情况下，开始以您自己的审查和对内容的评估开始是可以接受的，然后决定哪些区域或作品需要进一步挖掘以确定其命运。
不要过度估算库存和审计内容的过程。If you’re not sure whether something meets user needs, complies with content standards, or dives metrics, note that in the audit spreadsheet. Those pieces are good examples to bring up to your team or the content creators to get their perspective. They may also have additional context to help you determine whether to leave the content as it is, update it, or remove it. Such instances may also help your team realize the importance of documenting user needs, content standards, goals, and success metrics before content creation begins or continues.
It’s not enough to have your content inventory and audit complete. You also have to review it in its entirety tomake decisions about what to do with problematic, inaccurate, or outdated content.Look for individual pieces of content or entire sections that are of low quality.
Looking at all of the factors and ratings in your audit, record a status for each piece:keep, update, or去掉. For the pieces which need updating, document what exactly needs to be done to improve it and assign an owner to the task. The owner could be the content owner or author recorded in the inventory or someone else. Review your proposed changes with the stakeholders, content owners, and creators you’ve involved from the start — especially for significant changes or removing content altogether.
一般而言，与行业最佳实践的内容达到达成协议，您的组织的内容标准可能是最容易做的，所以开始那里。确保每个件都遵循最佳实践web writing和includes coherent metadata. Iterating on content so that it evolves to better serve user needs and drive metrics may take more time. However, these heavier efforts are still worth pursuing as soon as possible after your content audit and inventory are complete, particularly for content that is highly visible and problematic for users.
Maintaining the Content Inventory and Audit
内容管理系统和工具可以帮助您将库存部分自动更新。但是，审计总是需要持续监控和更新by its owner(s). Being the owner of an audit is a big, time-consuming job. People always try to just tack it onto their other responsibilities and that never works out. Much like the content they contain, inventories and audits can quickly become outdated and unwieldy without care and maintenance. Share the responsibility of maintaining the content audit and inventory with the same group you’ve involved all along, or bring others into your process to help you keep it current and accurate.
Use our content inventory and audit template below to get started and learn even more about creating and managing digital content in our course,Writing Compelling Digital Copy.